Friday, August 24, 2007

Publicity--and the best kind too!

Free, that is :)

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070715/SCENE05/707150316/1047

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/articles/2007/08/24/features/pulse/pulse01.txt

Some of you know about my stock port on iStockphoto.com. When I was pregnant with Connor and spending a lot of time on the couch in front of my laptop, I managed to build up a decent sized portfolio of stock photography. It is very time consuming, because the quality of the pic has to be absolutely flawless--no artifacting, no chromatic aberration, tack sharp, etc, but like I said, I was pregnant and not moving around that much, so I had the time. Pretty much the opposite of now, which is why I haven't uploaded anything to iStock in almost a year. But anyway, my portfolio there is still earning a small but steady stream of extra cash, which is pretty good for something that just sits there!

So back in February, I had an inquiry about one of my photos being used for a book cover, which was pretty exciting. Usually you have absolutely no idea where your photos end up after they are purchased. So to make a long story short, this photograph of mine has ended up on the cover of a new nationally released fiction book, which will be in bookstores in September. I even got a photo credit on the inside cover! The book is called The Lace Reader, and is the debut novel from a New England author, Brunonia Barry. You can learn more about the book at http://www.lacereader.com/. I have started reading the book, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I probably would have finished it already, but I had to read Harry Potter first, of course.







The 2 links above are articles in both The Courier-Journal and The News Enterprise about my photograph and the book. The News Enterprise story was really more about me and my photography business than the book, which was pretty neat. They wanted a picture of me, which of course made me cringe, but my good friend Ryan came over and took several pics of me that I was actually pretty happy with, which speaks very well of his photography skeelz, yo :)






So here is what the book cover looks like, and also the original photo that the design was taken from. And below that, a few of the fun headshots that Ryan took of me. I'm not used to being on the other side of the camera, but like I said, I actually don't totally hate these! So thanks Ryan! :) (Photoshopping and collage by me)







No comments: