Sunday, November 11, 2007

Christopher

I had a lot of fun taking Christopher's senior pictures--once I found him, that is! I kept thinking surely I was lost trying to get out to his house. I thought I knew Henry County pretty well, but I'd never ventured into that neck of the woods before. I enjoyed the drive, though; it was a perfect fall day and the scenery was beautiful. I took my time on the way back and stopped at a little church that had an old stone fence around the cemetery, and took several photos there too. One of my former students and I did a project on Henry County's stone fences a few years ago, so I was surprised and happy to come across another one that we didn't discover before.



Christopher did a great job, especially once his mom and I figured out we only needed to say a certain name to make him smile :) He's a great looking guy and I love how his pictures turned out. Here are a few favorites...
Christopher looked great in his tie
But I think he felt much more comfortable in his John Deere and hunting gear :)
I loved his hat:










Thanks for being such a good sport, Christopher! Best wishes for a great senior year!
And now, here are a few shots of the old stone fence I found on the way back. These historical structures were primarily built in the mid 1800's by Irish stone masons. There is a common misconception that they were built by slaves, in fact, you still hear them called "slave fences" in some places. You can find very similar fences still in the countryside in Ireland today, and they can be found in rural Henry, Shelby, Fayette and Woodford counties, as well as around the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky in general. There is actually an organization dedicated to the preservation of these fences, I believe it is called the Stone Fence Conservancy...Dry Stone Conservancy? I'll have to look it up to link it. Many of these fences are in danger due to neglect and land development.

No comments: